Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Cloth Diapering a Newborn

I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of our family, "Rosebud". She was born April 14, 2010 and weighed 6 lbs, 11 oz. She dropped to 6 lbs 2 oz, so if we can cloth diaper, I think anyone can! She does wear some disposables because #1 we are TIRED, and #2 she got impetigo in the hospital and I don't want the ointment that has to be put on multiple times a day to get on her cloth.
We are using both flats with covers (SO tiny ones, I will get pics up soon), but also splurged and bought two Rumparooz Lil Joey newborn diapers. In pink and purple of course! These diapers have been great. No leaks, no blowouts. Note the umbilical cord area that snaps down, but can be put back up once her cord is gone. She is wearing them on the smallest setting, but they can be let out farther as she grows.

This picture shoes the back, but they are not that bulky...I think the picture makes them appear that way. She is wearing newborn onesies just fine. Note the diaper pin at the bottom of the photo. When using flats/covers we have not been able to use a Snappi because even the smaller of the two sizes is WAY too big.

Along with diapering a newborn, we have just recently moved so with the change in water, etc I decided to strip my diapers. Note that most of these belong to my almost 2 year old.
1. Did NOT strip my Thirsties covers. They don't have cloth on them and didn't seem to be having any problem holding odors or leaking. I left them alone.
2. Boiled water in a stock pot on the stove and then turned the water to just below boiling. Used tongs to swish diapers individually in the water and then drop them into an empty laundry basket. Water did have some soapyness to it after 3 or 4 diapers, even though we use Charlie's, so I would empty the pot and start again.
3. Ran the (really wet) diapers through the machine on a rinse/spin cycle.
4. Sunned them dry.
Check with your manufacturer before stripping your diapers...but this works for me!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

You had nice experience with cloth diaper for your Rosebud.Cute experience.