Friday, May 1, 2009

New Birds Eye Flats

I didn't take a picture of my new flats, and I really need to because I haven't photographed my lil clothed baby on this blog in SO long. I have a family blog (http://www.thedraystoday.blogspot.com/) and I post lots there.

Anyway due to Baby J's recent growth spurt miracle I needed some new covers badly. He had been wearing the same size small I ordered from Thirsties last October! Now don't get me wrong, they are made to fit for quite awhile, but 7 months is a bit long. He had 2 medium covers that we used overnight with several layers of bamboo inserts and flats, but those don't go far, and I only wash my diapers every two days.

We've been using sposies* that we ordered from diapers.com (7th generation brand) for our upcoming trip to Virginia Beach because we don't have enough cloths right now. I had ordered size 2 and 3 for him not sure how big he'd be for the trip. Well, I have been using the size 2s because by the time that trip comes he won't be able to wear the size 2's anyway! 7th generation diapers are Chlorine free and better for the environment, so if we need to use sposies, those are what we use.



Anyway, along with the new covers (one is pictured above) I needed some new flats. When I first started CDing (cloth diapering) in October my mom gave me all of my old flats and prefolds. Well, they are getting a bit holey now...but they have had some good days. They went through me, my brother, and a few months of Baby J and Snug (overnight). We've tried to surge the edges of some of them, and there are some that still have life in them, but most of them are getting pretty bad.

I tried buying some pre-folds from Wal-Mart that were Gerber brand. Oh my goodness...that was a big waste of money. Within a few uses they were all "pilled" up and shrank big time. They also are not great at absorbency.

I decided this time to turn to Cotton Babies who are really trusted in the CD world. My 12 birdseye flats arrived today, along with 2 new wet bags (a MUST if you are going to use them out of the house). When you first get new cloth diapers they come very slick and would be pointless to use.

Currently my diapers are sitting in the bathroom sink in a cold overnight soak. Then they will be washed in with a couple of loads of regular laundry (no softener, no dryer sheets...we use Charlie's Soap so we don't even need them) and then be ready for use. They need to be washed like this so that the fibers are ready to be absorbent. Right now they could be used as rain gear!
Anyway, I will try to post later and let you know how my new flats are working out...can't wait!
*disposable diapers

No comments: